Hellkeeper's note Archives
Hellkeeper, 10/04/2012 à 21h45
Long Time No See
I have been working on a single-player map. But that's not what I'm going to talk about now. A bit after releasing Riot I was contacted to do a Single Player map for Unreal (without 227), which I did. I put a lot of work into it, it's not perfect, but I think it is good. I will talk about it only when the entire campaign is released, or when it is cancelled and I release it as a Special map.
Because Exar and Riot will be included in the next issue of Patch 227 (and the subsequent versions), I have been told to modify slightly Riot. I had nothing but positive echoes for Exar, and I think it deserved it. For Riot, there was some reserves - which I understand fully. Smirftsch commented on the fact that despite the rain, all was dry and there was no splash. I used the FootStepSounds for the mud texture on the lower level, and the sounds made by the players walking in the mud or jumping in it conveyed the wetness, but otherwise he was right: no splashing effect and no texture effect was used.
I slightly altered the map: I would nomally not change a finished project to prevent mismatching and compatibility problems, but since it will be circulated more than ever through 227, I figured it was now or never: I created a WetTexture effect based on my original mud texture, keeping the same detail texture and the same sounds, and applied it by default on the meshes. Additionally, I corrected a couple of problems: the projector on the upper level was changed from Transluscent to Modulated and its texture modified to create the same effect as the other projectors: a wet and old poster. The previous effect made it seem like the paper was a hologram against the wall.
The two south rooms were considered a single zone because of a stupid mistake: I had forgotten to seal the corridor where the stairs are, so that they formed only one zone. I added a Zone Portal, modified another one which caused a couple of possible HOMs, and was then able to put the BSP sliders almost on their normal settings (with a slightly unbalanced tree). The first two versions of the map had a completely unbalanced tree (slider on 10) because of geometric artifacts created by higher values. This also allowed me to tweak the lightmap settings in a couple of zones to increase their resolution and come up with better shadows.
Now that Riot is fixed, I have plans, plans involving Unreal 2, but I have no precise idea and everything is still at the conception table. I'm discussing the idea with GreatEmerald, who is more or less the only person I know still interested in it. We'll also try and find out how the Golem format works, and will maybe come up with interesting documentation for this uncanny version of the Unreal Engine. Though most of the basic stuff should be uploaded to the OldUnreal Wiki, a couple of long tutorials may be stored here.